Please note: Costs mentioned were correct at the time of writing (2022) and are subject to change at any time. Please contact your desired destination directly to confirm entry fees, costs and operating times.
While summer is still in full swing, why not enjoy the outdoors by visiting these various Johannesburg City Parks and Zoo destinations in Joburg? From visiting and viewing the lovely animals at Joburg Zoo to enjoying the fresh air and scenery at Emmarentia Dam, hiking the trails at Klipriviersberg Nature Reserve, there is nothing more refreshing and rejuvenating than spending an afternoon out and about in nature.
Click here to view other Johannesburg City Parks and Zoo destinations in the city.
Get Crafty at Color Café
There's plenty of fun to be had at Color Café! Grab your little ones and spend a few happy hours with Color Café, getting creative with some ceramic painting. And the best part about this activity is you don’t need any painting or art experience to create something special and unique. Have a blast picking the item you want to paint, letting your inner artist indulge, and having a good time with your loved ones. And once you're done, you'll each have a custom piece of art to take home with you. This is certainly a unique and different activity to try!
Summertime Berry Picking
Between the months of January to April, be sure to visit The Field Berry Farm in Joburg South for a day of raspberry picking. Spend the day strolling and picking juicy berries from their field, let the kids blow off some steam on the jungle gym, and treat your taste buds to their famous raspberry fro-yo and slushie. This is a unique and interesting experience perfect for the whole family. There is an entry fee as well as a set price per kilogram of raspberries picked from their farm. Also, you can shop other delightful raspberry products at the venue. Click here for more information, costs and dates.
For a unique experience perfect for the whole family, be sure to head to Donkey Dairy in Magaliesburg. Yes, it's a two hour drive from Joburg, but we promise you, it is well worth the visit! Here, you and the little ones can enjoy a day interacting with rare miniature animals out in the countryside. You can expect to find an array of farm animals, including dwarf goats, miniature pigs, miniature rabbits, miniature cattle, miniature horses, silky chickens, Suri alpacas and not to forget the stars of the farm, miniature spotted donkeys. Booking is essential as no visitors are allowed without a prior booking. Click here for all of the deets.
For a fun-filled, action-packed day out perfect for most ages, be sure to head to Clearwater Mall in Roodepoort and get your adrenaline pumping at Blades & Triggers Ops battle zone! Here, you can spend the day playing a few sessions of airsoft and nerf gun battles. Think of it as paintball, but without the mess! There are four different arenas available at the location catering to all sorts of airsoft and nerf gun activities and challenges. This is also the perfect destination for a variety of exciting events including birthday parties, bachelors and bachelorettes, team-building, and year end functions. Click here for more details.
- Cost: Own equipment – R99* per session (2-hours) | Rental – R250* per session (2-hours)
- Venue: Clearwater Mall, Hendrik Potgieter Road, Christiaan de Wet Road, Strubens Valley, Roodepoort, Johannesburg.
Let the kids climb the walls in a good way at CityROCK in Randburg. It's the biggest indoor climbing gym on the continent, and best of all, it has some of the best coffee in town too! So, if climbing isn't your thing, at least you can enjoy a good cuppa joe while the kids go climbing. The gym boasts 2 000m² of high-wall climbing, 124 top rope anchors, nine automatic belay walls, 500m² of bouldering, a well-stocked outdoor gear shop, a beautiful yoga studio, a training area and a dedicated beginners’ climbing area perfect for birthday parties, kids and courses. Not only is it fun, but it gets the kids active too!
- Cost: Day passes cost between *R130 - R170 per person depending on age. Climbing gear hire is not included in the day pass rate.
- Venue: 173 Republic Road, Fontainebleau, Randburg, Johannesburg.
Montecasino Bird Gardens
Spend quality time as a family and experience the beautiful vibrant residents of the Montecasino Bird Gardens. This is the only wildlife and bird park of its kind in Africa and is a must when you're visiting Montecasino. Here, you can wander along walkways, explore the manicured gardens and marvel at a menagerie of colourful birds, mammals, reptiles and unusual animals from around the world. Also, enjoy their walk-through aviary where you'll find over 60 species of birds, reptiles and small mammals roaming freely. Due to the COVID-19 restriction, the Bird Gardens will be open from Wednesday to Sunday between 08:30 to 17:00. Also keep in mind that their Fantasy of Flight shows are cancelled until further notice.
- Cost: Children under 2 get in FREE, entry for children aged between 2 and 12 is *R62 per child and entry for adults is *R90 per person. Pensioners get in at R62* per person.
- Venue: Montecasino, Fourways, Johannesburg.
City Sightseeing Johannesburg
How much of the city have your kids actually seen? We don't mean all the fun places, their friend's house down the road or the mall. We mean all the significant and historic parts of the city, including Nelson Mandela Bridge, Constitution Hill, the Apartheid Museum and the Johannesburg Zoo. City Sightseeing Johannesburg is all about experiencing the city and 20 of Joburg's leading attractions from the comfort of a big, red, double-decker bus. Fun for the whole family!
- Cost: A one-day ticket is *R130 per child and *R240 per adult. A two-day ticket is *R240 per child and *R320 per adult (prices exclude entrance fee to local attractions). And one-day + Soweto tour tickets are *R320 per child and *R565 per adult. Please note, costs are subject to change.
- Venue: The tour starts from The Zone @ Rosebank.
Croc City & Reptile Park
Sure, scaly critters make our skin crawl, but this cool spot is worth the visit if you and your kids are braver than us and are looking for thrills, chills and a whole lot of fun in between. If your kids are fearless and up for experiencing anything (even holding a creepy, cold, icky creature that sends us running for the hills), then the Croc City & Reptile Park is just the place for them. They can touch a baby crocodile or a slithery snake and get up close and personal with a hairy tarantula. Eeeek!
- Cost: *R90 per adult, *R80 per pensioner and *R60 per child.
- Venue: Corner of Cedar Road and R114, Nietgedacht, Chartwell, Johannesburg.
Today's kids don't understand the fun, excitement and concentration that goes into rollerskating. This was THE thing to do when we were kids and RollEgoli is bringing it back with a bang! If you see us rollerskating too, don't judge us! This is the perfect activity to get the kids out of the house to a place where they can hang with their friends and be active, showing off their skater tricks (like we used to do, back in the day). Skating works up an appetite, which is why RollEgoli has some of the best wood-fired pizzas in town! And for the younger ones, they also offer a tree garden with a few shy chickens and a jungle gym with a trampoline.
- Cost: Standard entry - *R95 per person (for as long as you wish) | Skate hire - *R40 per person | Skate Mate Support Frame Hire - *R50 per hour.
- Venue: 296 Main Road, Bryanston, Norman Road intersection, Johannesburg.
Need something entertaining for older kids, let's say from 12 years upwards? Then why not challenge their cognitive skills with real-life room games at the Escape Room? This is the type of adventure where they are 'trapped' in a room with friends and family. This is real, not a computer game, so there are no cheat codes! They'll need to use their noggins to get out. Here are a few crucial skills that'll get them through this challenge: they must use their sense of adventure, imagination, lateral thinking, powers of observation and, of course, teamwork. Once they have cracked a series of stimulating, challenging and fun puzzles and solve the mystery, they'll be freed. They just need to keep in mind that they'll have to do this within the time limit. Sounds like fun, doesn't it?
- Cost: Two people - *R590 | Group of three people - *R840 | Group of four people - *R1 080 | Group of five people - *R1 250 | Group of six people - *R1 410 | Group of seven people - *R 1645.
- Venue: Dunkeld West Centre, corner Jan Smuts Avenue and Bompas Road, Dunkeld, Johannesburg.
Jozi X Adventure Centre
There is nothing like an adventure to get the adrenaline pumping! And to delight your kids' sense of adventure AND keep them entertained for hours on end, Jozi X Adventure Centre is a must. They have everything under the sun from bubble soccer, games of Arch Rivals, zorbing and loads of other fun and exciting obstacle courses. This makes for an epic day out for your kids and their friends.
- Cost: *R150 for a day pass. To check out the rates for other activities click here!
- Venue: Corner Main Road & Sloane Street, Bryanston, Johannesburg.
We all know how kids LOVE making a big mess! So why not let them go bonkers with paint and creativity at Artjamming? Best of all, you don't need to worry about the clean up afterwards. Artjamming allows your little ones to indulge their inner artist and create their own inspired, colourful and interesting masterpieces. All they need to do is pick their canvas, decide what they want to paint and go wild.
- Cost: Cost depends on the size of the canvas (between *R185 to R895).
- Venue: Melrose Arch, Birnam, Johannesburg | Bedford Centre, corner Smith and Van Der Linde Road, Bedfordview, Johannesburg.
Aerial parks are all the rage right now. So, why not bring the kids to Modderfontein's Go Ape branch over the weekend? They can let out some steam and brimming energy while you sit back and enjoy the fresh air. There are four courses to choose from, sorted according to age appropriateness and difficulty. Kiddies aged 4 - 8 can test their balancing skills on the Green Course, which features 21 obstacles. The most popular course caters to 8 - 12 year olds, offering 22 aerial challenges. Teens can have their fill of fun here too, on the Blue or Purple courses. The course can fill up quickly over weekends, so it's best to arrive early.
- Venue: Corner of Valley Rd & Johannesburg Rd, Modderfontein, Johannesburg | 072 5440 415 | [email protected]
Modderfontein Nature Reserve
The Modderfontein Nature Reserve is a hot spot for weekend braais and family get togethers. While it does tend to get busy over weekends, the reserve is expansive enough to escape for a few hours. There are various walking and hiking trails, which take you on a tour of the reserve dam and plant life. If you are weary of walking alone, join the Modderfontein ParkRun event which takes place every Saturday morning. This 5km timed run (or walk) is a great way to get your weekly dose of sunshine, good exercise and a chance to meet new friends.
The Modderfontein Nature Reserve also offers guided walks and tours, which extend a little further into the park. Here, you can spot a number of wildlife species, including buck and rare species of birds. Once you have worked up an appetite on your walk, take a short drive over to Hops End Brew Pub. With craft beer on tap, awesome live music and a spectacular view of the reserve, this is the ultimate place to unwind over a weekend.
- Venue: 1 Arden Rd, Modderfontein Reserve | +2787 288 1904 | [email protected]
Do you and the kids have a love for animals? Then we know just the place to visit! The 85-hectare Pretoria Zoo is the largest zoo in the country and the only one with national status. A staggering 9 500 animals call this popular destination home – ranging from mammals, birds and fish to reptiles and amphibians. There's also an aquarium and reptile park that forms part of the zoo. There's plenty for all ages to explore at the Pretoria Zoo. Visit their website and get your tickets now!
- Cost: Children (2-15 years old): R75* per person | Adults: R110* per person | Parking fee (per vehicle) - R25 | Students’ special fee: approximately R75 per person* (student groups)
- Venue: 232 Boom Street, Daspoort, Pretoria.
The Ditsong National Museum of Natural History
Explore South Africa’s natural heritage at the Ditsong National Museum of Natural History. This is the only natural history museum in Gauteng and one of the largest in South Africa. Here, visitors will be able to view collections and exhibits that includes hominid fossils from the Cradle of Humankind World Heritage Site, other fossils, skeletons, skins and mounted specimens of amphibians, fish, invertebrates, reptiles and mammals and much more!
- Cost: Entrance is R45* per adult | R20* per pensioner | R25* per child for own tour or R30* per child for guided tour.
- Venue: 432 Paul Kruger Street, Arcadia, Pretoria.
The Grove Ice Rink
For an easy entertainment solution perfect for both young and old, why not visit The Grove's Ice Rink for some cool fun on the ice? Hire some skates and take to the ice, race your friends with laps around the arena, practice your skills, or simply just have a great time. This is the perfect outing during the summer month when it's hot outside, the ice rink is sure to keep you cool and refreshed.
- Cost: Entrance is R80* per person | R35 for skate hire.
- Venue: Grove Shopping Mall, corner Lynnwood Road and Simon Vermooten Road, Equestria, Pretoria
Cedar Junction Theme Park
Make the most of our South African summer by visiting Cedar Junction Theme Park! Here, guests, both young and the young at heart, can spend the day hopping on train rides, making a splash with 16 water slides, dipping into four different pools to keep cool, floating down the Lazy River, climbing up and down Jungle Gyms, bouncing on trampolines and so much more! There's plenty of exciting outdoor activities to keep visitors entertained at Cedar Junction Theme Park.
- Cost: Adults: R120* per person | Children (from 2-12 years): R100 per child | Pensioners R100 per person | Kids under 2 - FREE
- Venue: Plot 404, Graham Road, Zwavelpoort, Pretoria East.
For an exciting day outdoors, filled with adventure and adrenaline, visit CryWolf in Irene. Here, visitors can spend the day doing exciting activities including two-speed go-karting ideal for both young and old, playing some paintball or laser tag (depending on whether or not you can handle being hit with a paint ball), or trying out laser clay pigeon shooting!
Cost: Click here for all the pricing details.
Venue: Smuts House Museum, Plot 53, Jan Smuts Avenue, Irene, Pretoria.
Sitting on the couch with their eyes and hands glued to their cellphones is NOT the way kids should spend their school holidays, especially this festive season. They need to get out of the house, away from their gadgets and get active, which is why BOUNCE Inc is ideal. Not only does it offer a cure for boredom, but also loads of fun activities to keep them busy all day long. Think 3 000m² of interconnected trampolines, adventure features, padding and airbags, giving kids (and even adults) the chance to bounce around, throw balls, do backflips, show off their aerial skills and just have a blast.
Please note: All BOUNCE Inc venues will be reopening on 27 November 2020.
- Cost: Prices vary between *R80 - R650 depending on age, group size and venue. Jumping socks are R30 and are not included in the price.
- Venue: Menlyn Maine (Pretoria), Waterfall Lifestyle Centre (Midrand) and Fourways Mall (Fourways).
Another great idea is to let the kids swing about and experience a treetop adventure at Acrobranch. There's something for all ages and all fitness levels, from ziplining and tricky crossings, to high ropes and much more. This is also a great family activity if you want to do something new together. There's no better place to get your kids out and about and reconnecting with nature than at Acrobanch. When last did you or your kids climb a tree? Hmmm, we thought so! Just make sure they wear the right gear — closed shoes, comfy clothes, long hair tied up and safety gear (provided by Acrobranch).
- Cost: Activities cost between *R60 and R330 per person depending on age and type of activity. Make sure you book online as most branches are cash-free zones.
- Venue: Huddle Park (Linksfield), James and Ethel Gray Park (Melrose), the Big Red Barn (Pretoria), Rosemary Hill (Pretoria East) and Musaiek (Pretoria North).
Sometimes, parents just need a bit of time-out. A place where they can relax unwind while letting the kids run wild and blow off some stream. Cue Papachinos. Not only is this an awesome hangout for mamas, papas, oupas, oumas and the little tykes, but it's a great place to grab a bite to eat (the pizzas are amazing) while the kids run rampant and blow off steam in the designated kiddies' play area. This is a family restaurant that caters to all your needs — kiddie entertainment, food, wine and chillaxing.
- Cost: Entrance is FREE. Just pay for your drinks and meals.
- Venue: You can find branches in Clearwater, Fourways, Silverlakes, Boksburg, Broadacres and Stoneridge.
The Lion & Safari Park
Who doesn't love animals? And lucky for us, we don't need to drive too far to experience what South Africa is well known for — its wildlife! The Lion & Safari Park in Harties offers loads of outdoor activities for a fun day out for all ages. No need to travel all the way to Mpumalanga or the Kruger! Take your pick from interaction and walking experiences, guided tours and self-drive safaris. After all that excitement, relax and grab a bite to eat at the Bull 'n Buck Grill.
- Cost: Entrance to the park is free, but you'll pay for the activities. Prices vary between *R100 - R995 per person depending on activity and age.
- Venue: R512, Pelindaba Road, Hartbeespoort, Broederstroom.