Melville is set to celebrate its 125-year anniversary next year. Everything from the cafes flanking the streets of Melville to the innovative ’27 Boxes’ shopping centre has defined the neighbourhood what it is today. Iga Motylska, involved in compiling the list, sung the suburb's praises.
Time Out For Melville
“Melville is a joyous, everyone-knows-everyone kind of place. Just north of the city centre, this largely residential neighbourhood’s tree-fringed main road brims with coffee shops, restaurants, and bars that spill onto the pavement. Antique fan out in front of family-run stores. Artists hawk their creations on street corners.”
“Very few parts of Johannesburg, in fact, are better for a casual mooch than the area’s commercial centrepiece, 27 Boxes – once Faan Smit Park, now a 51-store shopping complex comprising colourful stacked shipping containers.” - Time Out
Top Ten Coolest Neighbourhoods in the World
Just in case you were wondering, these are the coolest neighbourhoods in the world.
- Esquerra de l’Example, Barcelona – Spain
- Downtown, Los Angeles – USA
- Sham Shui Po, Hong Kong City – Hong Kong
- Bedford-Stuyvesant, New York – USA
- Yarraville, Melbourne – Australia
- Wedding, Berlin – Germany
- Shaanxi Bei Lu, Shanghai – China
- Dennistoun, Glasgow – Scotland
- Haut-Marais, Paris – France
- Marrickville, Sydney – Australia