A Little Background
We will give you a little bit of a disclaimer: when travelling to this beautiful spot in Hekpoort, PLEASE make sure you take a bakkie or a car that’s not low suspension or low on ground clearance, as the dirt road to the property is exceptionally rocky, bumpy and treacherous (trust us, this is from our own personal experience!) But once you get there, it’s all worth it.
Rustig is a beautiful, well-established family farm that’s run by the Oosthuizen family. This plot was a tobacco farm way back in the 1930s and now specialises in cattle and game, and of course, providing us city slickers with an idyllic country escape from the city. This location offers accommodation, amazing hiking trails, an upmarket wedding venue overlooking the lush gardens, and just a serene place to getaway from everyday life and just unwind.
Want To Stay A Weekend?
Now, if you’re looking to stay the weekend to chill out and reconnect with Mother Nature, there are many accommodation options available – the Heritage House, the Farmhouse, the Stone House, the four-sleeper tent, the six-sleeper tent or the Backpackers. Each one has it’s own unique charm, feel and budget. We stayed in the lovely Farmhouse which can sleep 10 people in its five spacious rooms. Another thing we really loved about this Farmhouse was its LARGE kitchen with heated floors (the weekend we chose to getaway on was FREEZING!) and the big veranda complete with comfy couches and braai area. But as for the other options, here’s a few details:
The Heritage House features a Victorian-style bathroom, a rustic farm-style kitchen ( equipped with a fridge, microwave, kettle, and limited cutlery and crockery, however no stove or oven). There’s a beautiful formal lounge that opens onto a veranda which overlooks the formal rose garden.
- Three bedrooms and can accommodate six people
- Two bedrooms feature double beds while the one features two single beds
- Includes breakfast
- R1 000 per room per night
- Entire House – R2 500 per night
The Stone House
The Stone House is rustic and is one of the oldest buildings on the farm. It sleeps 4 in its 2 bedrooms. The main bedroom features a double bed while the second room a bunk bed. There is a small kitchenette and access to the ablution block is only a 5-7 meters away
- Two bedrooms and can accommodate four people
- One room with a double bed
- One room with 1 bunk bed
- No towels included
- R220 per person per night
- R100 per child (under 10 years old) per night. Children under 2 years stay for free.
The name of this one says it all – it’s a backpacker spot. It’s literally just a place to sleep for the night. There is a communal kitchenette and easy access to the nearby ablution block. This venue also features a big braai area, a pack of braai wood, camping chairs and three bunk beds per room.
- Six rooms, that each sleeps six people
- R170 per person per night (bedding excluded).
- R200 per person per night (bedding included).
- R120 per child (under 10 years old) per night. (Children under 2 years stay for free.)
- R250 per person per night in rooms with 4 or less people
As for the tents, you can take your pick from the four- and six-sleeper on the property. They’re both charming and are completely self-contained and self-catering, each with it’s own en-suite bathroom.
- Four-sleeper -R1 200 per unit per night
- Six-sleeper – R1 500 per unit per night
- Full Kitchen
- Cutlery and Crockery included
- En Suite Bathroom with shower
- 1 Pack of Braai Wood
- Braai and camping chairs supplied for each unit
- Bunk Beds
- Towels and bedding included
- Four-sleeper – Two single beds (request to be pushed together if desired)
- Six-sleeper – One double bed
There’s Activities To Get You Active!
There best part about being at Rustig is exploring the property, and what better way to do this than by doing a hiking, going on a game drive or testing out the off road biking trails (just remember to BYOB – bring your own bike!).
Since we didn’t have bikes, we decided to try out one of the hiking trails on the farm. There are three trails varying in difficulty available for farm guests and day visitors:
Olivenhout Hiking Trail – 3km – The Yellow Trail
- R65 per person and R30 per child under 10 years old
- Average hiking time for this trail is one hour
- More of a flat terrain, easy route
- Hiking must commence by 12:00.
Witstinkhout Hiking Trail – 5km – The Red Trail
- R65 per person and R30 per child under 10 years old
- Average Hiking Time for this trail is three hours
- Medium difficulty, climbing over ladders, sloping trail
- Hiking must commence by 11:00
Karee Hiking Trail – 13km – The Green Trail
- R75 per person
- NO Children under the age of 12
- Average Hiking Time for this trail is 5-6 hours
- High difficulty, steep trail, climbing
- Hiking must commence by 09:00
The Witstinkhout Hiking Trail was lovely, offering amazing views of the property and the Magaliesberg Mountains. Once we got to the “top” of the trail, there was a massive and oh-so beautiful “cave” (for a lack of a better word). We took a long rest there before descending back down to the Farmhouse. Just don’t forget to take a cap, sunscreen, comfortable hiking shoes and a couple of litres of water with you.
There’s a 13km overnight hiking trail for those brave and adventurous at heart. It’s perfect if you’re interested in an off-the-grid experience. There’s no hot water and no electricity. Only what you’ve packed in your rucksack and the equipment you bring. Click here for more information about this.
They also offer game drives twice a day, the morning game drive at 08:00 and the afternoon game drive is at 16:30. Cost is R150 per person and R75 per child under the age of 12, but just keep in mind that NO children under the age of 10 are allowed on the drive. To find out more about availability, visit reception or give them a call.
The Venue Is Perfect For Weddings And Functions
Rustig is Gauteng’s best kept secret when it comes to the perfect countryside wedding venue. They have everything you need to pull off the wedding of your dreams without a hitch. The location offers magnificent views, a five-star wedding hall with an expansive veranda overlooking a beautiful terrace garden as well as fine dining catering on offer. Rustig provides couples with affordable sophistication in the countryside. The idyllic grounds are perfect for beautiful photos. There are wonderful packages available to make your experience as easy and enjoyable as possible. Weddings at Rustig offers:
- Garden wedding ceremonies in the formal garden
- Capacity for 150 guests
- Accommodation for 74 people
- Elegant wedding hall
- Children’s play room in the wedding hall venue
- Custom menus
- Magnificent views
- Beautiful gardens
- Ample, secure parking
- Tailor-made wedding packages
Rustig is also ideal for conferences, corporate functions and team builds. The hall transforms into an ideal work environment including cinema style seating and conference equipment. You can arrange any function imaginable, including:
- Year-end functions
- Family Days
- Team Building
- Bridal Showers
- Stork Teas
- Birthday parties
For More Information
For more information about this stunning countryside escape, visit their website at www.rustig.co.za.
You can contact them on 079 490 2690 or email@example.com.