World Chocolate Day is celebrated annually on 7 July as a commemoration of the introduction of chocolate to Europe in 1550. It is also celebrated more simply because chocolate is love worldwide. The day is observed in the best possible way – by eating chocolate! While we’ve never needed an excuse to tuck into a slab of delicious milk chocolate, we thought we’d give World Chocolate Day a little more attention this year.
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic we could all use a sweet pick me up. Thanks to Woolworths, this World Chocolate Day looks to be one to remember. Their epic chocolate festival kicked off on 22 June and runs until 19 July 2020. Offering chocolate lovers of all kinds a delicious array of sweet treats on special, the festival has come at just the right time. So this World Chocolate Day, head over to your nearest Woolies food store or get shopping online for great deals on your favourite choccies. Buy any three Lindt chocolates or select Woolies chocolates and get 30% off! Here are just some of the chocolates on offer and how to get your hands on them this World Chocolate Day:
Woolworths Chuckles are the stuff of childhood. We distinctly remember sneaking a bag or two into the movies to mix up into our popcorn as children. Lovers of shortbread biscuit coated in smooth milk chocolate will be delighted to learn that Chuckles are included in the Woolies Chocolate Festival selection. However, these morsels of goodness now come in an assortment of flavours and tastes. Try out Chuckles peanuts, coconut ice in milk chocolate or shortcake milk chocolate bites. Woolies Chuckles now also come in bars so you can savour the chocolatey pleasure for even longer. Spoil yourself with a bag (or three) and celebrate World Chocolate Day the right way.
Assorted chocolate boxes
For the more refined choccie lovers, Woolworths has a great selection of chocolate truffle boxes. Our top pick is the Chocolate Decadence box – 16 pieces of decadent chocolate made using only the finest local ingredients. Sneak in a chocolate truffle a day or gorge on the whole box come World Chocolate Day, there is no judgement here. For the health conscious, there’s an assortment of dark chocolate nibbles to enjoy. The dark chocolate glacé ginger pieces box is the perfect guilt-free spoil. So whether you’re all about rich, decadent chocolate or healthy treats, Woolies Chocolate Festival has got you covered.
Not much beats a Lindt chocolate. From their classic slabs to their latest inventions, Lindt’s chocolate masters know how to tempt and treat chocolate lovers world over. Lindt’s latest creation is the Lindor Singles Slab. Made up of 18 individual ‘moments of bliss’, this chocolate bar is ideal for those of us who lack portion control when it comes to Lindt chocolate! We recommend the Hazelnut Milk Chocolate singles for a perfectly smooth and irresistible chocolate experience. Stock up for the winter by purchasing any three Lindt chocolate bars, boxes or fruity sensations at Woolies and get 30% off.
De Villiers Chocolate
De Villiers Chocolate is sourced in Africa and handcrafted in Cape Town. If you’ve never sampled one of their chocolate bars, get yourself a few slabs at Woolies. As part of the Chocolate Festival, De Villiers chocolate range will be on special until 19 July 2020. Their inventive flavour combinations will send your tastebuds into a happy tizz. Take your pick from sea salt and caramel, cacoa nib and salt, intense 70% dark chocolate, honeycomb milk chocolate, orange peel and vanilla, salted almond, coffee milk or coffee and dark chocolate, coconut blondie, milk chocolate biscotti and raspberry, vanilla and almond white chocolate! It’s a flavour sensation.
Click here to scour through the entire Woolworths Chocolate Festival collection. Visit your nearest Woolies food store or get shopping online to get your hands on these fantastic chocolate deals. Remember that the festival ends on 19 July 2020, so don’t miss out!
Make your own chocolate dessert
If like us you’ll be going OTT this World Chocolate Day, you may want to make your very own chocolate dessert to enjoy on the day. We’ve found two mouth watering recipes for you to try out at home. P.S: We accept a chocolate bars as thanks!
Toasted coconut marshmallow hot chocolate
- 2 x 400 ml coconut milk cans
- 100 g dark chocolate of your choice, roughly chopped
- 1 vanilla pod, seeded
- 150 g coconut marshmallows
- Heat the coconut milk in a saucepan over a medium heat until just simmering. Add the chocolate and vanilla, stir, and return to a simmer.
- Pour the hot chocolate into a large jug.
- Place the marshmallows in a large bowl and microwave for 30 second periods, stirring each time, until they become soft. Scoop onto the hot chocolate before serving.
Source: Woolworths Taste Magazine
Saucy Coffee and Chocolate Baked Pudding served with Dalgona Coffee Whip
For the pudding:
- 200g flour
- 15ml baking powder
- 30g cocoa powder
- 80g soft brown sugar
- 10ml instant coffee powder
- 1ml salt
- 125g butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 300ml yoghurt
- 80g DeVilliers Coffee Milk OR dark chocolate broken into blocks
For the sauce:
- 50g soft brown sugar
- 10g cocoa powder
- 5ml instant coffee powder
- 500ml hot water
For the Dalgona whip:
- 45ml instant coffee powder
- 45 ml castor sugar
- 45 ml hot water
To make the pudding:
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, cocoa, salt and coffee powder and mix in the sugar.
- Mix together the melted butter, eggs and yoghurt.
- Add the liquids to the dry ingredients and mix gently to make the batter.
- Spoon the batter into a medium sized ovenproof dish and push blocks of chocolate into the batter.
- Combine all the sauce ingredients together and gently pour over the batter.
- Bake in the oven for 25 – 30 minutes.
To make the Dalgona coffee whip:
- Combine all the ingredients and use an electric beater to whip it into a light and frothy whip.
- Serve the pudding warm with the Dalgona coffee whip generously dolloped over.
Source: De Villiers Chocolate.
Happy World Chocolate Day!