Where It All Began
Landscape Architect and Horticulturist, Greg Straw developed the Fourways Farmers Market in 2013. His vision was to create a space where artisans and crafters could sell to the public. Set within a beautiful outdoor garden, this was to be an intimate market experience. However, as the market made its debut at the Fourways Farmstead, it became increasingly popular. Drawing in hundreds of visitors to their weekly Sunday market, the Fourways Farmers Market is undoubtedly one of the most popular weekend craft and food events in the city.
With over 107 vendor stalls, selling an array of cheese, sweets, gourmet meals and drinks, the market is a hive of activity. Visitors are welcome to take a seat under the Jacarandas, or on the famous hay bales. Surrounded by plant life, under the glorious Joburg sun, the market is an idyllic retreat from busy city life. However, space has become limited, often causing frustration among visitors. With limited parking available onsite and cramped market space, the Fourways Farmers Market was in need of a new home.
The Modderfontein Nature Reserve
In 2019, the Fourways Farmers Market announced the location of their new home! The former Val Bonne Country Estate at the Modderfontein Nature Reserve now hosts your favourite weekly market. A short trip from Fourways, the Modderfontein Nature Reserve offers ample outdoor space. The surrounding views are also quite spectacular. This family-friendly venue is sure to be a welcome change for both the vendors and regular visitors of the market. However, you can still find all the fresh, local goodness you have come to expect from the Fourways Farmers Market.
The market made its official debut at the Modderfontein Nature Reserve in March 2020, giving them a few months to prepare the venue to accommodate all their vendors and you, of course. If you can't wait, then take a trip to their sister market, the Waterfall Market at the Mall of Africa in Midrand. Featuring the same collection of vendors, this market is a must-visit for artisan products.
Why You Need To Visit Fourways Farmers Market
Now, if you need further convincing as to why you need to visit Fourways Farmers Market other than the fact that it has a brand-new location and you're curious, we've got a few additional pointers to convince you.
It's the most beautiful outdoor market in the city. The market's brand-new location is absolutely breathtaking. You can find them on an estate within the 265-hectare Modderfontein Reserve. You can expect plenty of animal life, nature, as well as a splendid view of the Reserve Lake.
It's a farm-style escape just 10km away from Sandton. It's the perfect place to go if you're looking to escape the noise and rush of the city and just unwind and relax for a few hours. Be sure to take a stroll down the flower and olive tree-lined path to their hay bale picnic lawn.
Gourmet treats galore! This is just the place if you're looking to delight your taste buds with a variety of divine and diverse gourmet goodies, ranging from locally made cheeses, cured meats and sweet treats to flavourful jams, freshly squeezed juices, preserves and much more.
You can shop unique handcrafted items. Whether you're looking for a unique gift for someone special, or are simply on the hunt for a statement piece to add to your wardrobe, this market is sure to have it. Here, you'll find also sorts of treasures, from beautifully handcrafted jewellery and clothing to beauty products and décor.
There's plenty of entertainment for all. Whether you're looking to enjoy some of the best live local music performed by talented and up-and-coming artists or need something to entertain the kids while you shop, there's bound to be something fun and exciting here for all.
The Little Details
Now that you're revving to visit the next Fourways Farmers Market, here a few little details to keep in mind before you go:
- The market is open every Saturday and Sunday from 09:00 to 17:00.
- There is an entrance fee of R10 per person, however, pensioners and children get in for free.
- There are numerous play areas and kids activities on offer to keep the little ones entertained.
- Your four-legged companions are also extremely welcome to the market, however, you need to follow these rules.
- Most of their vendors have credit card facilities as well as a variety of mobile payment solutions.
- There is no ATM on the premises, so be sure to bring cash just in case.
- There are baby changing facilities in all of their bathrooms.
- There is ample parking available. Reserved handicapped parking is available at the entrance of the market.
For More Information
For more information, visit the Fourways Farmers Market website for more information, or you can follow their social media pages for updates and upcoming events:
- Facebook - www.facebook.com/TheFourwaysFarmersMarket/
- Instagram - www.instagram.com/fourwaysfarmersmarket/
- Details: +27 11 465 0877 ( Wednesdays and Fridays only ) or +27 10 534 6622 ( Monday to Friday during office hours ) | [email protected]
- Address: Taroko Farm (Modderfontein Reserve) Norfolk Lane, Klipfontein 12-Ir, Lethabong.