What Is It?
The Gauteng Model Boat Club, established in the mid-sixties and undergoing a revival, will display their boats and boating skills to the public and to each other at Emmarentia Dam. There will be about 30 models and 40 members to be on display. Some boats on display will be Scale Versions of Richard Branson’s Atlantic Challenger, Seawolf US Submarine, Type 212 German Submarine, Zwarte Zee Tug, and any number of Corvettes, Destroyers, Battleships, Landing Craft, Tug Boats, Coast Guard ships, Steamboats, Fishing Trawlers and Passenger Liners. The ships range from hand-sized rowboats to 1.5 metre long / 20 kg behemoths. Many of these models come with functioning diesel smoke and sounds, fire monitors, lights, cranes and guns. Events will be tug towing competitions, extinguishing real-life fires, boat races, and sailing regattas. The public will be able to view all the models on display and to see them in action on the water. Catch them at Emmarentia Dam at the Entrance to the Botanical Gardens.
When Is It?
Sunday, 29 October 2017 from 10:00 - 16:00. Times are as follows:
- Open water session: 11:00 to 11:55
- SeaWind demo races: 12:00 to 13:00
- Scale Boat Judging: 12:00 to 13:00
- Tugging and Fire control display: 13:00to 14:00
- Club 500 racing: 14:15 pm to 15:00
- Mass sail passed of all military civilian craft: 15:15 to 15:30
- Open water: 15:40to closure. Optional night sail.
- Pack up from 16:00onwards having enjoyed a great day at GMBC
Where Is It?
Emmarentia Dam, Olifants Road, Emmarentia, Johannesburg.
How Much Is It?
Viewing is free.
For More Information
For more information, visit www.gmbc.co.za.