LekkerBek has the perfect solution: bake little cakes!
Individual LekkerBek ‘Festive Fruit Cake Muffins'
About R5.50 per cake
12 Hole muffin pan
500g Fruit Cake Mix
100g Chopped Pecan Nuts
125g (1/2 Cup) Soft Brown Sugar
2 XLarge Eggs
200g (1 & 2/3 Cups) Cake Flour
2.5ml (1/2t) Baking Powder
2.5ml (1/2t) Salt
5ml (1t) Cinnamon
Blanched (Skinless) Almonds
Mixing and Baking
Heat oven to 150 degrees C. Mix fruit and nuts, pour over brandy and let it stand overnight for a lekker soak.
Next day: Using an electric beater, cream butter and sugar until light and creamy, add eggs one at a time and continue beating.
Sift together your flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon - fold into butter mixture. Add your drunken fruit and nut mixture, and fold through.
Spray your muffin pan with a non-stick spray.
Divide the mixture evenly into the muffin pan and smooth the tops.
Make them pretty- press cherries (red or green) and blanched almonds on top.
Bake for about 45 minutes or until you stick in a sosatie stick, and it comes out dry.
Heat a big dollop of apricot jam in your microwave, (covered or you will have a jam splashed microwave) and paint them as they come out of the oven.
Loosen the sides, and remove from pan – leave to cool.
Don't polish them off in one go!
• Instead of just fruitmix, add finely chopped SA glace fruit - just stick to the 500g
• Always use non-stick muffin pans - unless you like to eat your cake out of the pan.
• Coat your pan with bakers lard and dust with flour – it’s cheaper than spraying.
• Wrap each fruitcake in aluminium foil to make them last much longer.
• If you want to bake large quantities - go to Linda's Bake and Pack in Westdene for very affordable volume shopping (+27 11 482 2125).
For a fabulous choice of yummy homemade gourmet gifts, visit the Lekkerbek website by following the links alongside.