Golf Carts Now Available at Joburg Zoo
JCPZ has appointment a service provider to run and manage the golf cart services at the Joburg Zoo. This will be exciting news for zoo visitors as the zoo has been without golf carts for years. Navigating and exploring the 54-hectare facility has been a challenge for a number of customers. This service will provide an added value to the facility and offer visitors with a good and comfortable experience. The golf carts will officially operate from 09 December 2021.
- Cost: Prices start from R150 per hour*.
International Cheetah Day – 04 December 2021
Celebrate International Cheetah Day with Joburg Zoo! They will be hosting some educational and entertaining activities that's sure to delight families. Be a cheetah for the day, get your face painted in the kiddies area, or wear a cheetah paper masks to dress up on the day. There will also be a fun sack race and egg spoon race to thrill the kids.
Wild About You – 19 December 2021
Have a blast learning about many of the zoo's residents with the Wild About You programme on 19 December 2021 at the Centenary Lawn. There will be plenty of exciting activities available on the day including animals demonstrations with plenty of bio-facts on the lion, polar bear, crocodile and tortoise; three Big 5 tours (10:30 – 11:30; 12:00 – 13:00; 13:30 – 14:30); a kiddies corner offering everything from arts and crafts to a sack race and an egg and spoon race; face painters; animal mascots; stilt walkers; two magic shows; and more!
- Cost: Tickets are the normal zoo entry prices
- Time: Programme starts at 10:00 and ends at 15:00
Zoo Family Day with Mabs – 16 December 2021
The zoo's Family Day offers a fun-filled day, encouraging the public to spend time with their families, reconcile and enjoy themselves surrounded by wildlife.
Holiday Programme – 13 – 17 December 2021
The Joburg Zoo will be offering a unique and interactive fun outdoor holiday programme for children between the ages of 7 – 13 years. The programme takes place from 09:00 to 14:00 daily. Booking is essential – email [email protected] to book your spot. Kids can expect a day filled with arts and craft, animal talks and feeding sessions, as well as a behind-the-scenes tour.
Animal Talks & Feeding Sessions
The Joburg Zoo will be receiving tourism students to work with their education team. They will undergo training in order to equip them to run with the animal talks and feeding during the week. Dates for these are as follows:
- 18 – 23 December 2021
- 27 – 31 January 2021
Festival of Light – 26 November 2021 to 02 January 2022
Joburg Theatre in association with the City of Johannesburg entities; Joburg City Parks and Zoo and City Power are excited to present the annual Joburg Festival of Lights, featuring an enchanting collection of illuminated life-sized animal characters and classical, harmonious entertainment, food and craft night market for visitors to the Joburg Zoo. Click here for more details.
- Time: From 19:00 – 22:00 daily, except Mondays. Closed on Mondays.
- Cost: Tickets cost R150 per adult, R75 per child aged from age 3 – 12 years, and R90 for pensioners.
Enrichment Festive Schedule
Behavioural enrichment is a vital part of good animal husbandry. By providing enrichment; animals are provided with mental stimulation, encouraged to display natural behaviours, encouraged to make use of their entire enclosure and can make choices about the activities they part take in thus providing some control over their own environment. Behavioural and environmental enrichment programs go a long way to contributing to the animals’ overall welfare.
- Friday, 03 December 2021 – European Wild Boar (10:00) and Otter (13:30)
- Saturday, 04 December 2021 – Southern Ground Hornbills (09:00) and Cheetah (10:30)
- Sunday, 05 December 2021 – Meerkats (10:00) and Lions (13:30)
- Friday, 10 December 2021 – Elephant (10:00) and Giraffe (11:30)
- Friday, 17 December 2021 – Parrot Paradise (09:00) and Spectacled Bears (10:30)
- Tuesday, 21 December 2021 – Gorilla (09:00) and Monkey Lane (10:00)
- Wednesday, 22 December 2021 – Small Cats (10:00) and Coatis (11:00)
- Thursday, 23 December 2021 – Chimpanzees (09:00) and Aquarium (10:00)
- Friday, 24 December 2021 – Iguanas (10:00)
For More Information
For more information about The Joburg Zoo, visit www.jhbcityparksandzoo.com.
You can also contact them on 011 646 2000 for more details.
Address: Corner of Jan Smuts Avenue and Upper Park Drive, Parkview, Johannesburg.
Images courtesy of Joburg Zoo