Camping and caravanning are both popular holiday choices in South Africa. Why, you may ask? Well, if you think about it, there are many great reasons why this should be an option for your next getaway – it’s nature at its best; there are endless destination options; and of course the budget friendliness.
As the excitement grows in anticipation of this year’s great Gauteng Getaway Show at TicketPro Dome, Getaway has kindly shared some fun – and mostly useful – hints and tips to try on your next outdoor adventure. You never know, they just might come in handy:
- Zips are everywhere – tents, jackets, storage, backpacks – and they often get stuck at inopportune moments. Prepare or fix this by rubbing a lubricant such as a candle or lip-ice on the zipper.
- Too hot? Reduce the temperature in a tent in a sunny spot by covering it with an emergency blanket to reflect the sun rays away.
- In your camping kitchen, use a hanging shoe organiser to store your cutlery, implements, and other small sundry items.
- Want to enjoy eggs for breakfast, but worried they won’t survive the journey to your destination? Break your eggs into a sealable container before you go and keep in the cooler for a delicious scrambled egg breakfast, without the broken egg problem.
- Treat the kids to a yummy braai pudding. Pack sugar cones full of mini marshmallows, chopped banana, chocolate chunks and nuts, wrap in foil and place in the coals for five or so minutes. And it’s delicious!
- Always pack duct tape. For patching tents, shoes, air mattresses, mozzie nets, bags, and more.
- Pack earplugs. Between them, Mother Nature, neighbours, even camping companions can be louder than anticipated in the dead of night.
- Remember to ‘leave no trace’ – be wise with waste, minimise the amount you take with you, and dispose of it responsibly.
Batteries are a big deal. Brett Kable from Enertec Batteries has three top tips for battery care:
- Always check the battery voltage before a camping trip, and if it is below 12.3, charge it up to 12.7 volts.
- While travelling, make sure the battery is in a well ventilated space and secured in position. Spilled acid can cause severe damage.
- Check your battery voltage regularly when camping. Draining below 12.2 volts will reduce the battery lifespan.
- After camping charge the battery immediately to avoid sulphur build-up.
Johann Carstens from SnoMaster has tips for camping fridges:
- Switch on a day before leaving to avoid unnecessary power usage when camping and travelling.
- Don’t take the baskets out – they help with the air flow around the food and bring the temperature down quicker.
Don’t Miss The Getaway Show!
The Gauteng Getaway Show is your one-stop-shop for adventure travel and a fun day out for the whole family, with lots of special offers and chances to win amazing travel prizes. The award-winning expo is the ultimate showcase jam-packed with travel destinations and inspiration, accommodation options and offers, outdoor gear, 4×4 products and accessories, motor homes, caravans and trailers, camping equipment and adventure operators.
When Is It?
Friday, 04 October 2019 – Sunday, 06 October 2019.
Where Is It?
Ticketpro Dome, Northumberland Road and Olievenhout Avenue, North Riding, Northgate, Johannesburg.
How Much Is It?
Get your tickets now at Quicket at R80 for adults, R40 for scholars and pensioners, and free entry for kids 12 and under.
Also, by buying a ticket, you automatically have a chance to win a week in Mauritius for two people, valued at R40 000.
For More Information
For more information about this exciting show, visit www.getaway.co.za.