Spicy Boerewors Pasta
- 600 g spicy sausage or boerewors
- 30 ml (2 T) sunflower oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1 medium aubergine, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 4 baby marrows, chopped
- 2 x 410 g can Rhodes Tomato Italian Style
- 4 x 250 ml (4 C) cooked penne pasta
- To serve: 3 T ( ¼ C) fresh basil leaves and grated Parmesan cheese
- Remove the sausage or boerewors from its casing.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the sausage meat until almost cooked.
- Remove the sausage meat from the pan and set aside.
- Discard excess fat in the pan.
- Add the onion and fry for a few minutes until softened.
- Add the aubergine, pepper and baby marrows and fry, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes more.
- Add the cans of tomatoes.
- Bring the sauce to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer until the vegetables are cooked through.
- Return the sausage meat to the pan.
- Continue to simmer the sauce for a further 5 minutes or until the sausage meat is cooked through.
- Add the cooked penne pasta to the sauce and toss well to mix.
- Serve immediately with the fresh basil leaves and Parmesan cheese.
20 Minute Chicken & Spinach Pasta
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 400g chicken thigh pieces, skinless, deboned and cut into strips
- 1 clove garlic
- minced red chilli, deseeded and finely diced or 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 800g tinned tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- 1 handful basil leaves, roughly torn
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat the olive oil in a deep pan. Season the chicken and brown on both sides. Add the garlic and chilli and cook for a further minute. Add the chopped tomatoes and sugar. Season the tomato sauce with salt and pepper. Cover partially with a lid and let it bubble away for about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, bring a pot of salted water to the boil and cook the pasta until al dente. Drain but reserve 1 cup cooking water for later.
- Fold the baby spinach into the pasta sauce and allow to wilt down. This should take only a minute or two. Empty the drained pasta into the sauce and toss to coat. Add some of the cooking water to thin the sauce down as the pasta will continue to absorb liquid when mixed into the chicken.
- Add a generous handful of basil and half of the Parmesan cheese. Fold through to combine with the sauce.
- Serve immediately with additional Parmesan and freshly ground black pepper.
Adapted from: https://www.food24.com
Paprika Chicken & Fried Rice Bake
- 12 chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper
- 10 ml (2 t) paprika
- 45 ml (3 T) olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 packet rindless bacon, chopped
- 300 g uncooked white rice
- 1 x 410 g can Rhodes Tomato Italian Style
- 60 g Rhodes Tomato Paste
- 250 ml (1 C) red wine
- 500 ml (2 C) prepared chicken stock
- Season the chicken to taste with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Heat the oil in a shallow oven proof casserole dish and brown the chicken in batches.
- Set aside.
- In the same pan, add the onion and leek and fry until softened.
- Add the garlic and bacon and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir briefly.
- Return the browned chicken pieces to the pan, placing them on top of the rice mixture.
- Spoon the Rhodes Tomato Italian Style over the chicken.
- Place the Rhodes Tomato Paste, wine and stock in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Pour the wine mixture over the chicken in the casserole dish and cover with a lid or tin foil.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 ºC for an hour or until the rice is fluffy and soft and the chicken cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and serve with a crisp green salad.
Adapted from: https://www.rhodesquality.com
The Classic Mac & Cheese
- 240 g macaroni
- 250 g (1 packet) bacon, chopped
- 1 x 410 g Rhodes Tomato Italian Style
- 65 ml (¼ C) butter
- 5 ml (1 t) Dijon Mustard
- 45 ml (3 T) flour
- 500 ml (2 C) milk, warm
- 1 handful mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 handful cheddar cheese, grated
- salt, pepper and nutmeg
- 125 ml (½ C) fresh breadcrumbs
- 45 ml (4 T) Parmesan cheese, grated
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and cook the macaroni as per the packet instructions.
- Drain well and set aside.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan, add the bacon bits to the hot pan and fry until crispy.
- Pour off any excess oil and then add the Rhodes Tomato Italian Style.
- Simmer for a few minutes to heat through.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter.
- Add the mustard.
- Add the flour and stir with a wooden spoon.
- Using a whisk, whisk in the hot milk and continue whisking until the sauce is smooth and thick.
- Cook over low heat for a few minutes to cook out the flour.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the cheese.
- Once the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth, season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Pour the tomato sauce over the cooked macaroni and mix.
- Spoon the macaroni into a baking dish and pour over the cheese sauce.
- Mix the breadcrumbs and the Parmesan cheese together and sprinkle this mixture over the top of the pasta.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180˚C for 20 minutes until heated through.
- Serve immediately.
Adapted from: https://www.rhodesquality.com
Jalapeño Atchar Malay Chicken With Tagliatelle
- 500g Woolworths dried tagliatelle
- 100g butter
- 100g Woolworths jalapeño atchar
- 280g Woolworths oven-roasted sliced chicken breast
- Torn coriander, for serving
- Cook the Woolworths dried tagliatelle in salted boiling water until al dente, then drain.
- Melt the butter until foamy and just brown, add the Woolworths jalapeño atchar to the butter and toss through the sliced chicken breast.
- Fold through the pasta.
- Serve at room temperature with torn coriander and season to taste.
Adapted from: https://taste.co.za