Located in the now-trendy east side of the city, Hoarders Refurbishers in Observatory specialises in rejuvenated pieces of furniture with a story to tell of their humble origins. Recycled, reused, upcycled and repurposed — this is at the heart of what Hoarders does with such passion.
We’ve all seen how pallet furniture has taken the market by storm over the years but Hoarders takes this concept to new heights. Wine crates, wood from old pianos, old trolleys and many other discarded items are transformed into works of art that become talking points at dinner parties.
In a competitive industry such as this one, business owners need to differentiate themselves, and that’s exactly what owner John Shepherd chose to do. He walked away from his high-powered corporate job to follow his lifelong passion, which can be seen in the workmanship. Intense conceptualising goes into every piece and the best part is that as a customer, you get to have your say! John takes time to investigate your every requirement and suggestion before moving forward with a piece.
Walking around the workshop you can see that this is a man who takes his creativity seriously. This isn’t an Ikea factory, it’s a place where the lines between art and function are blurred. A place that nurtures expression and that’s exactly what sets the artist apart. Current trends are fused and flipped until a new vision is born. Just look at these photos!
The workshop is situated in a beautiful house in old Johannesburg where John lives with his partner and art curator Maxine. Walking through their home and looking at the showpieces inspired me to redecorate my whole house, as well as whip out my credit card like Kim Kardashian on Rodeo Drive. That said, I couldn’t believe how reasonable the prices are. Even the really big items don’t go for what you’d expect from this level of craftsmanship.
Say hello to Hoarders or call 084 078 4126. John will talk you through the rest.
*Price correct at time of publishing
- Krispy Kreme Gets Creepy Just In Time For The Addams Family Release
- MercyMe South Africa Tour
- Who Will Be The Ultimate Wing Man?
- To Cronut Or To Donut? That Is The Question
- Places Where You Can Get That Mexican Flavour
- Must-Try Egg Inspired Food And Restaurants
- A Gentleman's Guide To Preparing For Movember
- Motherland Coffee Company VS Father Coffee
- Different Clubs To Explore In Joburg
- Travel On A Latin Inspired Journey Around Joburg
- Where To Enjoy the Rugby World Cup Final
- Basketball Clubs In The City